Dehydrated athletes do not perform well. Fluid loss through sweating
directly impacts strength, endurance, power, and cognitive abilities.
Excess fluid loss may cause an athlete to feel fatigued, weak,
irritable, nauseous, dizzy, and even disoriented.
Recommendations to Prevent Dehydration:
- 2 to 3 hours before a competition - drink 2 cups of fluid
- 1 hour before a competition - drink 1 cup of fluid
- 15 minutes before a competition - drink 1/2 cup of fluid.
- Before a competition, weigh the athlete.
- Every 10 to 20 minutes during a competition - drink 1/2 cup of fluid.
- After a competition - drink 2 cups of fluid for every pound of weight lost.
Source: American Red Cross Sports Safety Training Handbook